July 01, 2007

Sore and Achey

It ended up being a VERY FULL DAY INDEED. Starting with my morning DIY yoga, Zippy and I decided to do a longish walk (3-4 miles) immediately thereafter. My legs were a little creaky, but no problems. Then, 1/2 way to Bristol to pick up MYA, she called and cancelled (not feeling well) so I came home. Zippy was not interested in going to Pride in Bushnell Park but when I suggested we bike down (its perhaps 3.5 miles each way, although we took a slightly longer but less trafficy route) ze jumped at the offer. So we rode our bikes down.

We initially came upon something at the pavilion which was definitely NOT a vibrant pride fest (wedding? church picnic?) and feared the June pride was a bust - but found the real celebration at the other end of the park:
Sister Funk at Hartford Pride 2007

We hung around for a bit, said hello to people, shared some festival food (meat on a stick for the Zipster, fried plantains and fresh lemonade for me) and then rode home. I got a bit too much sun and both of us pushed it in terms of calves and knees....

Last night, we traveled to Artwell Gallery in Torrington where a friend of ours had an opening / show:

It was good to see Mark, saw some Hartford friends there, and one weird out of the blue serendipity moment - a blast from the past (an ex's boss from 20 years ago) reintroduced himself. Good to see him again, turns out he lives in Hartford, and is as charming and cute as ever. Yowza.

Today - sore from all that exercise, sun, and fun. Gonna hit the mat on my own this morning, the normal Sunday morning hot practice at the studio might be a bit much for my tired body, and Zippy wants to go visit hir sister in Manchester this morning, so I will probably tag along....

2 comments:

kerri said...

I had no success convincing friends to come with me to PRIDE yesterday. I've been in the past, and wasn't feeling totally into it myself, but the overwhelming sense was that friends weren't feeling "prideful" yesterday.

Was the music any good?

Jude said...

Really, the only music I heard was a gospel group (pretty decent) and some permutation of Sister Funk (they seem to have some floating slots right now). As a result - not so tight.

Mostly I was there to show face and touch base with friends and allies. I think the June Pride vs. September Pride community infighting has split the energy - and neither Pride celebration will be all that and a bag of chips....