November 07, 2007

Blogging from Baystate

10:00 a.m. - For some reason, Baystate Medical Center has WiFi. Good on them.

I'm here with Zippy, who is here for a bit of surgery. I seem to be more upset / worried by this than Zippy; I've been through a comparable dance with the steel side of a knife, so I project my own experiences onto him. I've sort of cried myself to sleep the last few nights over it.

12:15 p.m. - Just sent the Zipster on his way to the OR - his surgery team is all women. I'm headed home to let the dogs out and stuff, then back here to meet him on the back end.....he should be coming home tonight.

2:15 p.m. - A quick two hours of errands, involving lunch, gasoline, driving back to Hartford, the post office, and watering and snacking the animals. Then back up to Baystate. At 2:15, a few minutes south of the hospital, Dr. Johnson called to let me know the surgery was complete and no problems.

2:38 p.m. - Back in the waiting area, taking advantage of comfy seats and free WiFi. I only lament missing the coffee at the Friendly's Cafe downstairs.....hoping Zippy is not too sick from the anesthesia, and wondering how long I will end up waiting around today....

4:30 p.m. - I'm in with the Zipster now. He's conscious and slightly nauseuous. Laying back with a spit bowl at the ready, and a washcloth on his forehead. It's a look, I guess. They are giving him some Lactated Ringer's Injection USP for the nausea. I'm still blogging - hospital-wide WiFi don't cha know....and Zippy is not really in the mood for chit-chat. Not sure how long it will be until they let him loose.....

1 comment:

Terrence McCarthy said...

No fun waiting around while your honey's under the knife. Been there ( Baystate Medical Center, 5th floor ) Done that. Good luck to Z. and U.

Coincidentally, a few years after my S.O.'s operation, BSMC made some changes, as had I. They retooled the fifth floor day stay unit and made it a locked psych ward. I'd quit the ad biz and landed a counseling job. Ended up working on that same floor, same wing, where our lives had been significantly changed years before. Ain't life weird?

Again. Good luck with what ya posted about today.