May 27, 2008

Scoot Again

Towards the end of last year, I had an incident wherein my scooter (an ancient Yamaha Razz I picked up used on Craiglist) just stalled out. I was down on Hartford Road / Newington Avenue and it sputtered out. I ended up walking it home (annoying). So I have not had it out much this spring. I figured it was something maintenancy: a clogged fuel filter, fouled spartk plug, or a tune-up.

Or maybe it was something less permanent - bad gas, vapor lock, or the like. I fired it up a few weeks back and it seemed to run fine. Yesterday I risked a ride from the house over to a barbeque not too far from Gold Roc - a pretty far trek compared to what I was doing last year - and it was fine. I am going to keep an eye on it (and if I can figure out how to clean / replace the fuel filter and spark plug that will be worth doing)

With gas at $4 a gallon, more miles on the scooter (and bike) and less on the Saturn is a good thing. I suspect the scooter has a higher footprint in terms of pollution and emissions, but it's a heck of a lot less gas burned than the Saturn.

Although I think I need to invest in a real helmet; the bike helmet I have been using is kind of goofy looking. Then again, me on a scooter has a certain comical visual footprint regardless of what I wear on my head.....

No comments: