June 07, 2008

Anatomy Training

So I'm 1/3 of the way through a Functional Anatomy for Yoga Teachers training weekend with Ellen Heed.

I'm the girl in the back of the room making little noises of happiness, ohs of enlightenment, and giggles of amazement - at the beauty and complexity of the body, at the recognition of anatomical structures which I have come to know intuitively (through my practice, through my teachers' languaging). As Ellen talks of particular bones and muscles, I sit there touching myself, digging around for the bone or muscle she is teaching. I'm pretty sure Nykki (assisting Ellen) is up front, watching me, and laughing her ass off. It's all pretty exciting, personally.

So far, the biggees for me have been understanding the back - pinched nerves, bulging or herniated disks, facet syndrome. I have my own struggles with lower back pain (tweakiness, really, I suspect its more muscle strain than anything) so to get a good mental picture of my back is wonderful, as well as how particular postures are beneficial or potentially harmful. And getting a good mental image of some of the muscle structures that my teachers reference - the psoas, the piriformis, the abs.

It's mostly a "sit and listen" kind of class so far, although I see on today's agenda an hour long guided meditation and a 90 minute yoga practice. But my body, accustomed to daily yoga, is kind of cranky this morning. Today's practice will help, and I'll definitely try to hit the 8:30 a.m. class tomorrow morning, before the training begins.

Ellen has this model of the spine, from the bottom of the skull to the pelvis, that she uses throughout. At times, she sits up front with this spine on her knee - like one would hold a child, a puppy, or a ventriloquists dummy. It's very endearing.

Ellen is in town for a few days, and I uncharacteristically signed up for a few hours of body work. Ellen specializes in deep tissue work around scars, and is a certified Sexual Bodyworker (only in CA, as she says) - and I'm thinking I might have some things she could help me with.....

No comments: