December 31, 2008

The Ballad of Colin McEnroe

In tribute to my friend Colin McEnroe's last show, a bit of folk music whimsy. I would NOT do this for anyone less beloved and respected than Colin, mind you.....

The Ballad of Colin McEnroe (circa mid 90's). Wav file here

Words by Mike Russell (who?) and music by Bruce Springsteen. (it's based on the song "Youngstown" from the Ghost of Tom Joad" album)
Guitar and Vocals by Mike Russell, Mandolin and Vocals by Jon Lewis

Colin played this on his morning show back in the day. I think he called it tedious. Ah well. Art isn't easy.....

In retrospect, a lot of dated references. Squids in the sound. Dubey and all those Barbaras. Dr. Laura (who grabbed his morning time slot, back in the day, this is not the first time Colin has lost a slot on WTIC). Tick inspections. Rush Limbaugh's ties. And Colin McEnroe circa 2008 is anything but equivocating, and has quite the backbone (back in the 90's he was a bit less sure of himself).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss colin already. Thanks for this.

Ashley said...

Loved it very entertaining. I will miss Colin dearly, he used to keep me company for all those years when I was on the road most of the day. I hope he ends up back on our airwaves soon.