January 31, 2009

My Roots are Showing

Pawing through a crate of old cassette tapes (looking perhaps for some Peter Anthony) I came across a pair of cassettes. Equinox Live at the K of C - March 5, 1982. Tapes I and II. The college era rock band that I played bass for. We were a three piece group (Bass / Drum / Guitar), so we all worked pretty hard.....

Listening now. It's not art, but we sounded pretty good. Tight, anyway. How the hell did I remember all these songs?

Here's the set list from 27 years (more than 1/2 this lifetime anyways) ago.

Hound Dog (Elvis)
I Should've Known Better (Beatles)
Temptation Eyes (Grass Roots!)
Johnny B. Goode / Roll Over Beethoven (Berry / Beatles)
Sweet Jane (Lou Reed)
Watching the Girls Go By (original)
Go to the Mirror (Who)

Better Things (Kinks)
Who'll Stop the Rain / Have You Ever Seen the Rain (CCR)
Be My Lover (Alice Cooper!)
Hang Fire (Stones)
Satisfaction (Stones)
Summertime Blues (Who)
I Saw Her Standing There (Beatles)
Well, Well, Well (Lennon)
Purple Haze (Hendrix)

Roadhouse Blues (Doors)
Ain't Talking 'Bout Love (Van Halen)
Rain (Beatles)
Killing Floor (Hendrix)
Start Me Up (Stones)
Cold Turkey (Lennon)
Cold Chicken (original)
Don't Let Me Down (Beatles)
The Waiting (Petty)

Dancing in the Moonlight (Thin Lizzy)
Come On (Berry)
She's So Cold (Stones)
Red House (Hendrix)
Powderfinger (Neil Young)
Traveling Band (CCR)
Til the Next Goodbye (Stones, although I can not for the life of me remember this song)

This was the spring of my junior year, a local townie party so I imagine we were aiming for the AOR crowd - as we moved through senior year, I recall a lot more new wave stuff - Pretenders, Clash, Jam, U2. Kind of wish I had some of that later stuff on tape.....

No comments: