September 27, 2009

John Muir

Watching the new Ken Burns series - National Parks: America's Best Idea

The first hour has an extended segment on John Muir. And as I watched the show and listened to stories of Muir's experience, and quotes of his writings, I recognized the language of enlightenment, the verbiage of the seeker. Some samples, sourced here:

We all flow from one fountain— Soul. All are expressions of one love. God does not appear, and flow out, only from narrow chinks and round bored wells here and there in favored races and places, but He flows in grand undivided currents, shoreless and boundless over creeds and forms and all kinds of civilizations and peoples and beasts, saturating all and fountainizing all.

I used to envy the father of our race, dwelling as he did in contact with the new-made fields and plants of Eden; but I do so no more, because I have discovered that I also live in "creation's dawn." The morning stars still sing together, and the world, not yet half made, becomes more beautiful every day.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands, flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty.

I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

Might as well be Rumi - touching on Truth. I think I have found a place of exploration.....who knew?

I'll watch the rest of teh series as I can, but it has already proven itself worthy beyond measure!

No comments: