I cleaned up the space, put Elo's adopted quilt down (an old quilt purchased during a top surgery benefit many year ago). It's been my "cover up on the couch" quilt forever, and Elo had sort of claimed it over the years. I lit some candles, put some quiet music on (Annie Wenz, a yogi / healer / musician who is a mainstay at Falcon Ridge), brought my meditation cushion down and just sat with him, breathing, metta, crying, making contact in turns. I read Mary Oliver's poem "Her Grave", about letting go of a dog, aloud.
He'd been pretty down since Sunday, so I assumed
he'd be a lump on Monday, but was able to give him some beef broth, and
he made it outside for a morning bathroom trip and then a short walk at
noon. That felt like a blessing. I was not planning to post anything
online but the vet called to say she was running behind, so I had time
to take a few pictures and post some thoughts - it was nice to share it
and to feel the love / energy heading inbound. I'm sort of working under
the concept that all this sadness has to get out somehow and sometime,
so might as well go with it, share it, express it, let it out.
The actual death was very gentle - Dr. Leah got down
on the floor, I held him for a sedative shot (no drama) and he slowly
dropped off asleep, then she shaved his leg and administered the final
shot. No big drama (sometimes there's some hard breathing or nervous
system movement).
She went outside to make space in her truck and got a small gurney, it was nice to have a few moment alone with him (no doubt planned on her part). We wrapped him in the quilt, put him on the gurney, and carried him out.
She went outside to make space in her truck and got a small gurney, it was nice to have a few moment alone with him (no doubt planned on her part). We wrapped him in the quilt, put him on the gurney, and carried him out.
I'm not getting the ashes returned or do the whole paw print thing. I have enough stuff, his memories, his collar, and photos.
Also a house full of dog fur. I suspect Elo will be with me for a while...although now I'm faced with all the potential home improvements I've put off "until Elo was gone" - painting, carpets, floors.
Also a house full of dog fur. I suspect Elo will be with me for a while...although now I'm faced with all the potential home improvements I've put off "until Elo was gone" - painting, carpets, floors.
I took it easy the rest of the day, a little nap, a
litter walk, starting to gather up his things. Hoping to bring the food,
chews, biscuits to the local animal pound along with some old towels
that I've been meaning to donate, if they want them. Going through the
toys, tossing some, keeping others. Packing up all the leashes and
trimmers and brushes in case I find another pup. No plans either way, I
need some space, but expect that if I'm meant to have another dog, it
will come into my life and make itself known. He was not a big dog but
took up space - I've got four doggie beds out on the deck airing out, a
set of steps to get onto the bed that he never figured out how to use.
So I'll be getting used to a more spartan home.
I wish I could have taken today off, but long
planned jury duty and no luck getting a last minute reprieve (where you
call and they tell you to stay home). It will be fine - I'll bring stuff
to read, to keep myself occupied.
And persistently, throughout the day, the refrain
"This is why we do the work". So that we can meet stuff like this
honestly, with compassion for ourselves, our friends or family members
or animal companions, for all beings really. That we can feel the
profound sadness and loss and know it's not the end of the world - that
our sadness means we're still alive, feeling. But that our own mortality
is right there with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment