Watching PBS Nature this evening, in a "Best of" show, we came across a piece on chimpanzee rescue, and the work of Linda Koebner who spent four years working with chimps rescued from medical testing. A scene where Linda visited rescued chimps, 18 years later, and the chimps seemed to recognize and greet her brought tears to my eyes. Soft sobbing really.
They are our kin, sharing 98% of our DNA, and although I believe that all life is connected and precious, the plight of these sentient beings moved me incredibly. Subsequent to the filming, Linda founded a chimpanzee sanctuary Chimp Haven. Next time I find a few extra bucks, I am going to make sure to send some that way.
Damn, and now there is a story on two elephants (Shirley and Jenny), who knew each other 25 years ago in a circus, reunited after all these years, and remembering each other. Fucking nature. So beautiful, so powerful, so righteous. We humans have no freaking idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment