In M. Scott Peck's book "The Different Drum: Community Making and Peace" (strangely missing from my shelf, I wonder if I lent it to someone?) - he speaks of four stages of community, the first of which is Pseudo-community. I was thinking of that this morning.
I am planning to participate in another Enlightenment Intensive in March, and I was thinking about Pseudo-Enlightenment - how after I had a significant experience, I began to doubt that experience, to feel that surely I must be faking it, since I am so adept at playing games, building facades, hiding behind masks. I felt fully capable of orchestrating an enlightenment experience for the benefit of myself, for peers, for the workshop leaders. In fact, I left the Intensive mostly convinced that I had indeed been faking it.
It was only in hindsight, after the Intensive, when I began to integrate my weekend and others began to react to the post-experience me, that I understood that my experience had been authentic, that I had indeed gone through something real and emerged changed.
No particular point, just something I have been thinking about.
No comments:
Post a Comment