January 12, 2007

Get Carter

Former president Carter is getting edgier and more opinionated as he ages. His recent book Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid - is causing a ruckus - with charges of bias, being too pre-Palestinian, anti-Israel, etc. People who have gotten used to the softer and saintly version, the wimpy one that Ronald Reagan beat up on in 1980, are not happy.

I dunno, I do not have huge personal stake on either side of the Israeli-Arab conflict. Like George W. Bush, Israel has been a bully in the middle east, working from a premise of Might=Right. Unlike W and the present US policy, Israel is a small geographic country, surrounded on all sides by enemies often sworn to work towards its destruction. So a bit of bully and bluster is expected.But the expansion, the kibbutz building, the honeycombing of Palestinian territory with Israeli settlements, is extremely aggressive and problematic.

I dunno how I feel about it all. If I hadda choose, I'd probably come down ever so slightly on the Palestinian side. But only ever so slightly.

No comments: