First session with a therapist tonight, as suggested by our couples counselor. I like therapy, I resonate with this person, so its all good.....
However, our couples counselor suggested I tell my new therapist that "I'm really good at convincing therapists how healthy I am.....but don't let me BS you...." (based on one of my concerns about individual therapy expressed in couples counseling). So I did.
Of course, telling a therapist that is sort of a recipe for them to marvel at how healthy one is, no? I like the therapist a lot, and do not think I really need someone who is gonna bludgeon me into a quivering mass of dysfunction (see how f*cked up you are?) or engage me in a psychological chess game. I'm sort of looking for someone to witness my process, listen as I get some things out verbally, ask a few wise questions, and perhaps keep me from avoidance / diversion.
But it's sort of weird to just out of habit work the whole therapy process thing (catch yourself not using "I" statements, for example, and correct mid-sentence), and have the therapist laugh and shake her head and say "You have done a lot of therapy, I guess" Less like a therapist and more like a partner in the work at hand.
Good thing or bad thing? Not sure......but its nice to have finding out to look forward to. It's been a while since I sat across the room from a therapist, and it feels good.
No comments:
Post a Comment