December 25, 2007

I Have Been Changed For Good

OK, I call foul. No fair making me sob on xmas morning.

My sister and her daughter went into the studio to make a xmas gift for each other and for the grandma's. I figured some cutesy novelty thing - but I clicked on the CD this morning, to hear the instrumentation from Wicked - as Galinda and Elpheba sing their farewells. And as I get ready for visiting, making the bed, cleaning up, I'm quietly sobbing.

My niece, a waifish (and in my memory) awkward thing who I best remember as a pudgy little baby has a great voice - her mother sang professionally, so it certainly runs in the family - but it was only when my sister's slightly more mature voice came in with Elpheba's part that I realized it was no tshe singing the other part. And to hear that song, sung by a mother-daughter, well, heartstrings.

A xmas gift for me then. To find that my niece is suddenly a young woman, and perhaps a bit of a theater geek. Who knew? On the way up I was blasting Rent - my sister noted that they would be doing NYC between the holidays - with a family trip to see Phantom (enough excitement for the boys), Cirque du Soliel with the inlaws, and Rent for my sister and niece. So I was already thinking of her in a new light. But after hearing her sing Wicked, a song that brings me to tears anyway - well.

I think I need to get to know my niece again.....

No comments: