March 16, 2014

Dining Alone

I live in New Britain, not too far from the Berlin Turnpike. My "neighborhood" is mostly north of my home; working in West Hartford, my band rehearses in Manchester, arts and socializing in Hartford. So I spend a lot of time driving along the retail ghetto of the Berlin Turnpike.

One thing I have noted as I drive along that road are the many restaurants - restaurants I have not dined in since I've moved to New Britain. Because dining out is not something that one does alone. It's a recurring source of bitterness and angst in my life as I make my way north or south several times a week - just last night I stopped by Lowe's to pick up some stuff, and noted that the Lowe's parking lot was filled with overflow from three adjacent restaurants on a busy Saturday night. The list includes:
  • Plaza Azteca
  • Outback Steakhouse
  • Ruby Tuesday
  • Ming Palace
  • TGI Fridays
  • Chili's
  • Bertucci's
  • Bonefish Grill
  •  Ruth's Chris Steak House
  • Joey Garlic's
  • Cavo's
  • Puerto Vallerta
  • Tunxis Grill
  • Elaine's
  • Makris Diner
I do go to Panera Bread often, but always alone and almost always take it to go - I've often looked out at those dining in, with dining companions, and thought that doing that, just once, would be a real treat.

Being single, living without a circle of friends that might call up and say "let's grab a bit" now and then, sucks.

No comments: