March 04, 2017

Thanks, Mom

Mom passed away back at the end of 2016 . . . and after a flurry of activity as we cleaned out her assisted living and found homes for the things she had brought with her from her condo, we've been slowly finishing the process of settling her fairly simple estate.

Mom did a good job of not leaving a physical or financial mess for us to deal with. We went through the bulk of her possessions as she transitioned into assisted living last summer - I took a few pieces of furniture. But really, nobody wants your parents' stuff. So what remained were the things she used daily, and her memories and keepsakes.

She assigned a destination for her keepsakes - china, silver, jewelry and art while she was alive, and three of us got "assets" - I took her car (a 2010 Chevy Malibu, just 35000 miles on it), my brother purchased her condo (at a low-ball price, with a bunch of mom-funded improvements, her gift to her youngest grandchild), and my sister got her diamond ring (a reasonably pricey rock, who knew dad had it in him). I ended up with the "good china" - 12 settings plus serving pieces that dad ostensibly picked up in Japan when he was stationed there. I really did not want it - lacking a dining room, china cabinet, or the sort of life where I dine with 2 people, never mind 12. But after initially demurring, and noticing mom's palpable disappointment, I told mom I'd take it. I was not going to sell it while she was alive; but I recently price-shopped it on one of those china replacement sites that buy china - and found the offer for this particular set ($1 for a cup & saucer, $2 for a dinner plate) to be so ludicrously low that I'd be paying them (in terms of shipping costs) to take it. So if anyone wants to do a formal dinner.....I'm ready.

Mom was worried about money - but we did a back of the envelope calculation when her health started to fail early in 2016 and knew her money would probably outlast her. So we were happy to spend her savings down to make her comfortable and support her over the last year. Though her time at the assisted living was a bit more expensive (due to her need for personal care towards the end), she left a small sum of money to us as a legacy.

Her will split her assets five ways (four kids, plus one young grandchild); we independently decided to gift the brother who did not get a car / condo / diamond with $10K off the top to even things up. That left us each with about $14K, with another $8K to split via a life insurance policy. We decided to set a bit aside (just in case) as we finalize taxes and such; this past week I received a check for $12K.

It was not what one would consider a "set for life" windfall, but to me it's a wonderful boon - permitting me to completely pay off my consumer debt and to fill my retirement account for 2016. I set up the final credit card payments today, took some time to consolidate all my various monthly payments (a handful of charities, video subscriptions, and digital / office subscriptions) onto one card, and took the opportunity to cancel a few things I was not using (a music subscription, an online fax service, an amazon prime extra). My plan is to close out one of the two credit cards, use the second for subscriptions and online purchases, and pick up a lower cost / more reputable one for travel and "just in case".

It's a good solid "spring cleaning" of my finances - I'll be saving money (avoiding interest payments), reducing my monthly bills (my card payments were maybe $300 just to keep things at status quo), and keeping a better eye on the expenses I do have.  Who knows - maybe I'll even start to save or more fully fund my IRA.

It has felt as if mom were reaching back, to take care of me for one last time. And as I was telling this to a friend on the phone, I noticed a rare feeder visitor - a female cardinal. I'm not much for signs and spirits in general, but mom and her friend June had shared a belief that a cardinal is a representative of a loved one who has passed, and my sister has carried that through her passing, funeral, and over the past few months. I've got a suet feeder going though the colder months, and though I see a regular crew of woodpeckers, nut-hatches, titmouse, sparrows, and grackles, cardinals are not regulars. It felt a little like an affirmation, a blessing. 

So thanks, Mom. While I have not had to rely on your for money for money since right after I went out on my own, knowing you were there was always a comfort. I've been missing you a lot over the past weeks, more so than right after you died.  Know that even in death, you've reached back to take care of us....as you always did. 

No comments: