October 29, 2014

New "Business" Card

I'm heading out to the New England Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) conference in a few weeks. It's a bit of a "fun junket" for me - I've got my foot in a several musical worlds:
  • The Guinea Pigs (musician)
  • Falcon Ridge Folk Festival (crew chief of performer merchandise sales) 
  • West Hartford Yoga (run the sound for kirtan and other events)
  • Scenic Root (concert and album reviews, on this blog)
But really, I'm not really there in any official capacity - just to hang out with sympatico folks, hear some good music, network, and relax.

Now, I've not been much of a business card / networking person for many years. I have had "professional" business cards for my engineering / consulting business for many years, and hand those out occasionally. But more often than not, it's not really appropriate.

I've also put together some "yoga" business cards, but really, I'm not selling myself as a yoga instructor / business most of the time - I'm part of the "West Hartford Yoga" collective. I rarely if ever use 'em.

And over the past few years, I've really struggled to define myself, my work, my life. I've got way too many irons in the fire to call myself an engineer, a yoga teacher, a musician, a blogger, a social media wonk, or any number of other careers / vocations. So here's what I've come up with:


I can see myself handing them out to folks I meet at NERFA, to yoga students, to Guinea Pigs fans and connections, to Falcon Ridge folks, even to balloon passengers.

Oddly, this feels like a big step. I feel like I've been hanging out on the periphery, staying out of sight, for many years. Time to let myself be seen, perhaps.

No comments: