This story hit the media a few days back. Apparently, in a speech at a leadership forum in Tallahassee, George H. Bush broke down in tears while discussing the leadership, and his son Jeb's first gubernatorial loss in Florida.
Thomas de Zengotita has a great take on it here - which I pretty much agree with. But I will add a few thoughts. Jeb Bush *was* the chosen one, the one who should have carried the Bush standard (and maybe the gubernatorial loss that Dad was recalling was the moment he got untracked). Perhaps Bush I is suffering with the rest of the country under his son's so called leadership, more so for having created this monster.
And perhaps he is aware that for the rest of time, the country, the world, history is not going to recall 4 years of fairly moderate leadership under the Bush banner (I never disliked Bush I, he struck me as a decent man, somewhat patrician and privileged but he was neither a puppet nor an firm ideologue). Instead, the name of Bush will now and forever be associated with 8 years of mismanagement, idiocy, lying, waste, needless death and suffering.
In the arc of the saga, as historians note the influence of the Bush family on the world history, perhaps historians will note that 1994 election defeat as the moment it all started to go wrong. And Bush the First, I suspect, is a smart man. He know's his legacy started to die on that day, and any good thing he has done with his life has been overshadowed by the sins of his son.
To shift back into comedy and irrelevance - will Jenna and Barbara become the Luke and Leia of this saga - rising to the challenge, joining the rebellion, learning the ways of the force, avenging the evil emporer and saving the soul of their father gone over to the side of evil?
Not holding out much hope.....
No comments:
Post a Comment