Colin's column this morning, Here In Temporarily New Hampshire, pretty much sums up the presidential primary energy this year. It's been a long time since my vote for the president mattered much at all. By the time the primary rolled around in years past, a nominee had all but been crowned, and any competitors stayed in the race mostly to push a particular issue or agenda, not to actually win. Connecticut has been a solidly Democratic state (with the exception of the Governor) for years, so on the presidential level, my vote is also pretty meaningless, unless I decided to throw my vote at a third party (symbolic more than anything). I think I blogged about this back in 2006 during the Lamont run at Sen. Lieberman, but damned if I can find it now.
But Tuesday, I get to cast a vote between two candidates, one of whom may very well be president this time next year. And my vote matters. It's a big responsibility.
In the past, I've sort of felt distanced from the process. I mean, I could safely vote for the democrat, knowing he would win my state, and the national process would go where it would. My vote did not seem to send ripples into the actual selection process, so I had a bit of distance from the outcome - it was not really "my" president, so I could choose to like or dislike the term in office without a lot of angst.
But this time - I feel like my vote matters. I'm going to feel a sense of responsibility in our next president. I'm going to feel a sense of pride if she or he succeeds in moving this country in a better direction. And I'm going to have my heart broken if he or she lets us down or is not up to the task...
No comments:
Post a Comment