It's 3:30 a.m. California time. I am wide awake. Because it's 6:30 a.m. back in my little corner of the world and my body still thinks it's there.
My body clock is generally pretty smart - I go to the sorts of new age workshops and retreat weekends where they take away your temporal references (no clocks) and try to grind away your defenses through long workshops and late nights, and still I'm up and at 'em at 5:00 a.m.
I guess I should be thankful that my body clock designed to give me an extra 90 minutes sleep this morning. I'm gonna go back to bed in a few just to lay there. Maybe I can meditate.
Apparently, the primary circadian "clock" in mammals is located in the suprachiasmatic nucleus (or nuclei) (SCN), a pair of distinct groups of cells located in the hypothalamus. (thanks, Wikipedia). I know that diabetics experience a dawn phenomenon - so surely the endocrine system is involved.
The good thing - getting up early leaves me plenty of time to practice yoga, iron clothes, mess around online, and eat some breakfast. But I'll be dragging this afternoon, for sure......
No comments:
Post a Comment