February 18, 2008

Handstand in 319

So who knew that getting over my fear of handstands would happen in Room 319 of a Marriot Courtyard in Kentucky?

I was so freaking close to getting this at Teacher Training on Sunday. Got up but there was some fear, some unwillingness to leap....I got up with some assistance, but still.....a little trepidation.

Tonight, while waiting for this dumb laptop to reboot and update and scandisk (it seems to be working again.....for how long we shall see), I realized that the longish hallway from the hotel room door to the main room would make for some pretty cool assisted yoga postures (I brought both my mat and yoga duds, to practice in the hotel in the morning). So I got up into down dog on the wall and the next thing I knew, I was in handstand.

I'm up against the wall here (trying to pull my abs in, tuck my tail and activate my feet) but I took maybe 20 timer shots, and I was up in handstand every time, for quite some time per shot. And more interestingly, I was balancing away from the wall a bunch of times too.

Something about being up on my hands, realizing I *can* support my weight, and messing around with it all.....I have a hunch I'm gonna start doing handstands in the studio (on the wall, jumping up from the floor) pretty quickly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! You should be so proud!

I at an internet cafe in VT. My family and friends have been barreling down Okemo MT all morning while I have been cross-country skiing in delicious solitude. The only problem is that today's soft 2-3 inches of powder, looking deceptively inviting, covers solid ice from yesterday's heavy rains. I've fallen a few times, which feels like I am slamming my hip, knee, whatever, into solid rock.
I'm sipping iced coffee and getting an Internet fix, and then I'll go back for more.


When I look at your picture, I think---ohhh, how does one get down from that without slamming into the floor??? But maybe that's my battered and bruised frame of reference right now.

Jude said...

I'm grabbing Wifi in the Louisville Airport...

I read your comment quickly and was going to suggest XC skiing as a kinder, gentler alternative to downhill, but I see you have already gone there. Nice epson salt bath might help the bumps! Have fun, oh winter sportster!

Coming down from that is easier than getting up - without the wall, I can either just lower my legs to the mat or bend my legs into my torso and come down. Gravity is my friend.....

Although here, I had the option of just folding my legs until they touched the wall across the hallway....and walking down the wall. That was the fun part - all the joy of handstands without the angst of actually getting up and down!

Anonymous said...

I think the last handstand I did was when I was 8 years old, before I had the fear of crashing down. CONGRATS! What made you decide to try it in a hotel room? I think I would have wanted people around me just in case.

Jude said...

Actually, I've gotten up into handstand a few times already, assisted (with someone helping to guide me up) and once all by my lonesome. (Surprised the heck out of me). But I do a lot of "nearly handstand" work (down dog on the wall, with splits) so that I was not really concerned about my wrists and arms; I know I can support my weight.

Mostly, I worry about tipping over (front or back) and with a wall behind me and one a few feet away in front of me, I could have just folded over into down dog on the wall at any point.....

Also, the floor was padded and carpeted, unlike my yoga studio. So, it was not really a high risk maneuver...even though it looks crazy as heck!