Pincha Mayurasana, otherwise known as Feathered Peacock Pose. Picture glommed from Sachanda Yoga Shala, in Hong Kong.
Ana Forrest put us into this at the training on Tuesday night. At the time, I did the beginner posture (dolphin on the wall), and then when an assistant came by I got an assist for this posture. This morning, as I finished up practice with a headstand, I thought "What the heck?". Nobody to whack if I fell, and a nice carpeted floor under my mat. What's to lose? Got into dolphin with my fingers touching the wall, and kicked up. Took me 2-3 times to get up with balance, but I did. Apologies to the occupant of Room 420, who I might have disturbed as I kicked the wall.
I did it up against the wall (like the Yoga Journal link shows, not like this picture, balancing away from the wall) - but I did push up into a balanceing version for a few seconds. I'll get there - this is how I started Sirsasana, and now I am comfortable doing that posture in the middle of the room. That will give me three inversions - Sirsasana, Tripod Headstand, and Pincha Mayurasana. Greedy little yogi, ain't I? All your asana are belong to us!
Inversions are better than Prozac, Ana said on Tuesday. I have to agree, I feel light and happy when I've had some time upside down......
No comments:
Post a Comment