January 20, 2009

More on Rev Road

Loyal readers and commenters have spurred me into a few more words about this film.....

What I thought was really sad about the film was that the dream that Kate Winslet's character had was really for / about her husband (or their lost youthful relationship), not really even about herself. Her dream might have been "to pursue acting" or even something wholly different. But she seemed to be living completely through him. Which is, I think, something of that era, and jarring as a result.

There is a TV show out there that I have caught a few times, Life on Mars, where a detective goes back in time to the 70s. The women characters on that show are so frustrating, because, looking at them with modern eyes, I want them to break out of their shackles and be as strong, smart, powerful as they really are. And in some ways, Winslets character in Rev Road is similarly locked up.

Another thing that kind of bothered me about the film - where were the kids? Even in late 50's / early 60s suburbia - are kids so easy to get rid of (for a few hours, for the night) or to placate into invisibility when they are around the house (even with Howdy Doody). I dunno, we were hellions in the mid to late 60s in suburban Pennsylvania - hiding or sabotaging mom's smokes, leaving messes wherever we went. Kate and Leo just had a lot of time alone in the film, which seemed odd. Just a few scenes with the kids, and no real detritus of a home with two kids in it - not enough to make me feel like the kids actually lived in that house.....perhaps seeing a bit more of a family there instead of a couple might have pulled me in a bit more....

Then again, maybe that's what family was back in the day, in a certain social and economic strata. Maybe my lower middle class family was a bit more chaotic and less restricted. Come to think of it, my parents lived on Long Island when I wsa born - Dad surely took the train into the city. But they moved to more rural PA when I was young, perhaps that life did not suit them.....

Finally, I guess my "anti-angst" attitude speaks to the buzz I heard before seeing the film - the "oh no, another film that portrays Connecticut as this soul-less bedroom community of NYC, you will be really down on living here if you see it" - because that is not my experience or belief. So it's hard for me to buy into the disheartened feeling about the state .....

No comments: