September 13, 2009

Le Morte du Blog

Colin McEnroe is doing a show on CT Bloggers tomorrow (Monday). The preview bumper talk about local bloggers perhaps stepping back a bit - losing a step so to speak, and challenges us to step it up. In his words:

On Monday's show -- from 1 to 2 pm -- I want to look at the State of the Blog. Specifically, I want to look at where blogging and other online communication/journalism is -- especially here in CT -- roughly five years down the road from the first real ascendance of blogs. Old media seems shakier than ever. Do you bloggers feel ready to step up and fill the vacuum? Are there better models on the proving grounds of the internet right now?

And news consumers -- do you use online journalism and other forms of 'net info?
Our studio line. 860 275 7266.

Do call in! I'm trying not to book guests and to have spontaneous contact with callers.

Simon Owens from Bloggasm and Kevin from We The People are among the people I THINK will call.

I have some theories regarding the slowdown in the local blogosphere.

1) Twitter. And Facebook. Even though I'm only a sporadic tweeter, and I've linked my blog to both Twitter and Facebook, it's a dilution of online energy and time. I can post a quick Facebook update to a captive audience (my 157 Facebook friends) as opposed to a blog post that may or may not get looked at. So I see a certain stratification of updates - Twitter gets the short things, Facebook gets links and videos and stuff, and my blog gets longer posts, reviews, etc.

Evidence of this - the quote from Colin above came via Facebook - not via his blog.

2) Lack of a Big Enemy. Bush was a fine target for bloggishness. Lieberman was as well, especially in the Lamont era. Not sure that Eddie Perez' travails or Jodi Rell's languor are juicy enough. And stuff like Global Warming and Wall Street are a bit too diffuse and overwhelming to feel empowered to do something about it via blog.

3) The Economy. Blogging is for the most part an unpaid activity and a labor of love, and is a luxury for many. When times are tough and people are hustling to keep the money coming in or the rent paid (or perhaps are a little less keen to be caught messing around online at their day job) it's more difficult to spend the time blogging or justify the time / energy.

I'm sure there are other ideas out there. I'll tune in (and I think I committed to calling in) and you should too....

1 comment:

terrence said...

Heard you on Colin's show today. Too short! Would have loved to have heard more from you. But that's show biz I guess.

I like the podcasts. Can listen at my convenience and pause when there's a knock on the door, or if the dog has to go for a walk.
Hope all is well with you.