December 19, 2005

Evansville, Indiana

I'm visiting a hospital here for work. Kind of an odd week to be traveling (before the Christmas Holiday and all) but yanno, being self employed you take the work when and where you can find it. I actually tried to suggest a few things to try to resolve things remotely (but would have earned me no money) since I did not really want to travel this time of year - if they had me on retainer I might have gone a few steps further in remote assistance. Ah well. Southern Indiana in December. This, my friends, is the heartland.

As I drove from the airport (tiny, mostly commuter jets) to the hotel, I passed a huge Whirlpool Plant. The kind of plant we easterners think have all moved to Mexico or China. Somebody is still doing manufacturing in the USA. And they are doing it in Evansville, IN, among other places. It almost makes me sad to hang the laundry outside...

I also stumbled on a xtian rock/pop station down at the public radio end of the FM band. This happens a lot when I am in this part of the world - I spend a minute or so setting the rental car FM presets in the sub-91.9 range to things that seem interesting (college, classical, news) and then channel surf. More and more, at least one of the stations I settle on thinking its the local college turns out to be xtian - and I'm bopping along to something vaguely Ani-ish or Dar-like and thinking I should try to find out who it is and then I actually listen to the words. Amusing. They talk about the secularization of christmas - what about the xtianization of secular music? We need a fair an unbiased news channel to talk about that...

I made my plans to be here on Monday (fly in Sunday night) but since we cannot get access to the equipment until 3 pm, I have all day to kill. Not too much work to do; if I were smart I would have brought along my holiday cards. I dug up a local Jazzercise class for this morning (in Newburgh, 5 miles due east) and I will probably visit the local Kohls looking for some xmas gifts that can be returned back east if needed.

Post-Jazzercise: Also, unbeknownst to me, Evansville was the site of some pretty nasty weather on Nov 5. One of the women in class was talking about not having her roof back, and when I drove back, I noticed a decimated neighborhood less than 1/4 mile from the facility. Roofs gone on the fringes, trees sheared, homes destroyed. Sheesh.

Also, the fact that the heartland women of this great country of ours are exercising to Eddy Grant's Gimme Hope, Joanna is something: hopeful? ironic? subversive? colonizing? weird? In any case, I got a decent workout....

No comments: