December 28, 2008

Movie Madness

As 2008 closes out, I am catching up on movies as well as some movie related technology.

Today I headed to Cinema City to finally catch Milk. Yeah to everything I've read - Sean Penn's performance is award winning (just say Mystic River for the first time on AMC as well, so his acting chops in two very different roles are on my mind). An incredible story - I knew the basics of the Milk / Moscone murders but Harvey Milk's life, and the politics of San Fran at the time were both revelations. I admit to shedding tears a few times. Was a wonderful film.

On the technology front, I *finally* jumped on board the Netflix download bandwagon - I installed the PC software and then watched an old Marx Brothers movie last night (Monkey Business) just to test the technology, and today I ordered a Roku Netflix Player for the television. I cost-justified that by dropping my Netflix subscription from 2 disks at a time to 1 at a time, figuring we'd download more films than we bring in via mail. And with 12,000 titles online now, I suspect we wil not run out of movies to see anytime soon......

We're technology refuseniks here. We have basic cable (broadcast plus a few channels - AMC, TBS, CSPAN, Weather). We have no Tivo or DVR or Blu-Ray. No HDTV or flat screen (I bought my 27" Magnavox when I worked at Philips, circa 1990, and it's still going strong). We have an old VCR and a cheap DVD player. So this will be a jump in technology. From the looks of things it has a built in web browser (to search the netflix site for movies) and a WiFi connection (so we can glom onto the existing home wireless). $99, and unlimited downloads come free with our Netflix subscription. It seems pretty simple to use (a big deal for the Zipster who gets frustrated by complex technology).

Excited.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Thanks for reviewing Milk. The trailers looked intriguing, but I also almost did not want to see it in case Hollywood destroyed historical accuracy.

Jude said...

I think they speculated a bit on the Dan White stuff (portraying him as maybe closeted gay) but I think it caught the spirit of the times very well. And I though the sexual stuff was pretty subtle (no bath-houses, no orgies) - some reviews seemed to imply that it was out front a bit more....

And Sean Penn just amazed me - both as the early "hippy" version of Harvey as well as the later politico version.

sandy shoes said...

Monkey Business, yay!

Looking forward to seeing Milk -- may have to wait till the DVD.