March 23, 2009

Long Term Investment

In these disposable times, I have been thinking about some things I have kept around for a long time.

Revereware
I have a set of copper bottom cookware that was a wedding present (circa 1987). And although the marriage was short-lived, the cookware is still going strong 22 years later. Every so often I clean the bottoms up, nice and shiny.

My Guitar
I picked up my acoustic guitar, an Ibanez V320, in 1979, as a Freshman in college. I've played it at countless folk masses, vacations, trekked out to folk festivals, college band gigs, and most recently, kirtans, although I've recently picked up a new guitar (also an Ibanez) and so the old guitar is on the bench for the most part. Still, it's been with me 28 years.

Television
I worked for Philips Medical Systems from 1989 - 1995; right around 1991 I picked up a Magnavox television from the company store. Maybe a 22" or 24" (I forget), not top of the line or anything (maybe it was $250 back then). But here we are, 18 years later, and it still works great. Don't really watch all that much television, but still I got my money's worth.

Cross Country Skis
As my marriage was falling apart, I bought two pair of cross-country skis, boots, and poles for what was to be the last xmas. A romantic gesture perhaps. I still have the skis, still in good shape, 17 years later. Granted, I do not get out much (not at all this past year) but still....

I'll add more long-lived things as I come across them.....

No comments: