February 24, 2006

TGIF?

It has been a long time since Friday was meaningful to me in the sense of "a long work week over, getting off the corporate treadmill, two days of rest and relaxation lie ahead" sense of the word. The last time I worked for corporate america directly was 1992. Not sure I could ever go back.....

You see, I really like my work. It's challenging, its enjoyable, its varied. I'll wander in today with a few things that I know I need / want to get done, and some new things will pop up via email or phone. I have a bunch of enjoyable background projects having to do with marketing or long term planning or infrastructure. I will get in early, take breaks for personal things and exercise, put in a long day. If I get curious about something or particularly enjoy something, I will pursue that, maybe put in extra hours. I'll leave at the end of the day feeling like I have more to do and eager for Monday. I may even sneak in to the office a bit over the weekend.

It's hard for me, outside of the corporate culture like this, to get into the rhythms of the work week. I know all over America they are gathering around cubicles on a given morning to talk about the Olympics or America Idol or the hot new TV show or major sporting event. I know all over America they look forward to long weekends, to vacations, to vacations. I know Monday feels different than Wednesday, and Fridays can be euphoric.

Do I pay a price for this? Sure - on lots of levels. But I know artists and activists and social workers who pay much bigger prices. Like a lot of stuff in my life, I try to dance along the borderline between corporation and artist.

Well I look up to the people who are less bought than I
You can show them what you're selling
And they'll only ask you why
And their paychecks don't have lots of zeros
They're my friends and they're my heroes
And the TV sets are angry 'cause they just can't make 'em pay
But I like the way these people read the signs and walk away

Dar Williams - Bought and Sold from "The End of the Summer"

Guess I am in Dar Mood.....time to stream Grassy Hill Radio from the office....where I am sure to hear a couple of Dar songs today....

No comments: