May 06, 2007

Folk Spreadsheets

It's 3:00 a.m. and my monkey mind is roiling with logistics and spreadsheets and processes. At a crew chief meeting for my annual folk fest last night, and I walked away with a project - involving process and spreadsheets to track performer CD sales: logging in CDs and other merchandise, logging out leftovers, calculating payouts.

Not exactly rocket science, but its engaging in a geeky problem-solving way, and I awoke at 2:00 a.m. and have not been able to get back to sleep. Hopefully some herbal tea and a bit of computer time will calm my thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, sounds like a job for a geeky problem-solving bookeeper - Quickbooks?

Jude said...

Actually, Excel is gonna be the app of choice. There is a lot of artist information to include (who to pay, where to ship, contact info) as well as tracking multimedia product (CD's, tapes, books, DVD's, clothing) - how much they bring, how much is left, etc.

Right now it looks like 2 worksheets with perhaps 25-50 individual artist sheets on each. Ack. Not too hard really - just need to get it all right before I start dupicating the master 50 times.....