June 01, 2007

Close to Home

Word from my mother, who just called.

My second cousin (son of one of my cousins) has been in Iraq. He's become one of the casualties. Not sure of all the details; but apparently it was an IED, and he has lost part of his left leg, and his right leg is seriously wounded. He is a handsome kid, a smart kid - a Princeton grad, his mom did not have a lot of money so I am sure he went to college via ROTC. I've known him since he was a little kid, although in my large extended family, the first cousins get lost, and I have a hard time keeping track of the next generation.

God I hate this senseless war. God I hate those who have waged it. God I hate those who voted for these assholes.

I was thinking of him on Memorial Day, as I cried a little for all the lives lost and bodies wounded. Wondering how he was, how he was faring. He was at his grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary a few years back - looking so stiff and sober in his uniform. I knew he was overseas but was not sure where. I would not be surprised to hear he had been part of the ill-advised "surge". Such a horrible sacrifice to have to make at such a young age. He has a large immediate family - his brother, cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents, and will I am sure not lack for healing and love as he recuperates.

My prayers for his healing. My prayers for all healing. And for this stupid military adventure to end.

Edit: Story from the Daily Freeman here

1 comment:

Shel said...

War is old men sending young people to die for their ambitions.