June 15, 2007

Why So Quiet?

Been a busy few days. We're holding our annual Gemini Party on Saturday - a tradition started by Zippy (who is a Gemini) as a sort of "I want all my friends and family to come by to celebrate but I do not want presents" thing - and since we are surrounded by Geminids, we thought, let's celebrate 'em all. The major birthdayish part is a Carvel ice-cream cake with all the Gemini's names; the rest is strictly hang out and schmooze.....

So we're in a flurry of pre-party preperations - cleaning, shopping, preparing. We're usually fairly lax in the housekeeping department. I am downright messy, and Zippy likes things neat on the surface but lets the dust accumulate. Zippy is content to just straighten up, but I go into hyper Martha mode - vacuuming shades, cleaning woodwork and cabinets, etc. whilst decluttering my sundry piles. Quite the project.

I'm making my traditional pot of vegan chili, Zippy is doing cajun green beans (and hopefully a mess of less fiery ones) - plus we'll have hamburgs, hot dogs, garden burgers, and brats for the grill, and people bring stuff.

It's an odd one for me this year - I never got off my duff to invite a lot of friends, so the guest list will be skewed towards Zippy's friends and coworkers. Zipster's artist brother Adam flew into town (we picked him up at BDL last night). Our musician friend Victoria will be down from the Albany area, with her guitar in tow. My mom, sister, and brother will be coming down, which is nice - being an alternative coupling without a marriage, its rare for our families to meet and mix, so its nice to have this sort of event. And after years of being somewhat circumspect about my life with my family, its nice to share my life with 'em. And oddly, my yoga/kirtan peeps (where I spend so much time and energy these days) have not really made the jump to "drop by the house to visit" friend status. Plus, Zippy has a chip on hir shoulder about that part of my life) so that slice of my life remains partitioned right now.

Our house is *not* designed for this sort of a party - even with the cleaned out back porch - so nice weather is a requirement for a successful party, and I think we are OK there: Yahoo sez Partly to mostly cloudy. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 78F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. In years past I have put up a tarp as a rain / sun shield over the back porch and I might do so again......

Anyway, if you need me, I'll have my hands in a bucket of soapy water.....

No comments: