August 29, 2006

The End of the Summer

And the colors are much brighter now, It's like they really want to tell the truth, We give our testimony to the end of summer, It's the end of summer, you can spin the light to gold.

Can it be almost a decade since Dar put these words to song? I remember the cover art - Dar standing in a sleeveless dress, mud up to her elbows. A woman who had been doing some serious work. More reason to love her.

Smart cookie, that Dar Williams. There is something about the light this time of year - the air is cleaner, and the angle of the light brings out these gorgeous golden colors. And it's getting to be that time of year again, with all that implies. There are days ahead that will seem absolutely perfect.

I am not really a summer person. The women at Jazzercise who tan have done so, and my pasty freckled white skin attests to my irish blood and my relative lack of sun this summer. Swimming? Once at my brothers. The lake? No. The beach? No. On the water? No. When I do get air, its 6:00 am on a balloon field, or a walk in the woods, or a bike ride. Autumn kind of things, even in July.

I've posted recently about catching up, and its that change in urgency that the end of the summer is all about. The lazy days, the malaise, the lack of energy are coming to an end. Its time to work again, the harvest is coming in, the winter is ahead, the heat and humidity are abating.

At 45, I am a person at the End of the Summer, in life too. More and more, I ponder death. Not really fearfully, but more expectantly - curious and respectful. I suspect that loved ones, elders of the next generation, will be dying at some point. I even anticipate death beginning to strike closer to home - friends and family of my era. We're getting to that age. And then too, it will visit me.

Can I tell you how much I love yoga, again? Each time I hit the mat, I practice for my own death. Savasana is such a welcome dying, a letting go, a taking it all in. If my afterlife contains a period of unconsciousness, and then I hear a voice saying gently "slowly come back into the room, back into your body, wiggle your fingers and your toes.....then roll onto your right side and gently push yourself up into a seated position" well. I'm gonna be grinning from ear to ear.

And I suspect I will be ready for the next practice......

No comments: