April 07, 2007

Yin Yoga

A workshop last night with Sarah Powers. Yin yoga. Which involves a lot of long, slow postures. In two hours, we never rose from the mat - did perhaps 10 postures, but held them for a long long time. It was interesting, my body feels open this morning. And I think I picked up a lot of wisdom (it was sort of 1/2 yoga, 1/2 lecture as she spoke of the practice throughout the practice). That mirrored what she was saying about the practice - that it was not so much about the postures or the discomfort - but rather about observing the mind dealing with the postures and discomfort. Two levels of work in the practice, and two levels of learning in the workshop.

I really enjoy these national workshops - even though I would just as soon grab a regular hot / power class, or a workshop down at WHY, the exposure to different teachings and styles is interesting. I can see where some of my teachers have picked up things from this style of teaching. And I am excited to have a class with Ana Forrest coming up later this month.....

I'm not slated for Sarah's workshop the rest of the weekend - conflicts with life, a bit too pricey, and I need my regular practice. Shankara on Sunday morning, methinks.....

No comments: