April 01, 2006

Happy Birthday, Sis!

A shout out to my little sister Kathy whose birthday is today! Our dad nicknamed her "Doodlebug" and childhood pictures (what few there are) show her hair to have been porcupine straight and omnidirectional. As the eldest, I got both the good hair and full documentation as a baby - but she's made up for that by being a pretty incredible woman all her life!

The link is to an old website featuring a band she once did lead vocals for. She is singularly un-google-able (unlike myself, who has left a trail that is wide, deep, diverse, and goes back to the earliest days of the web, which the Internet Archive reminds me of from time to time). There are lots of internet visible people who share her names (married and maiden) so its hard to find much about her.

These days she is a mom and wife and working part-time in the financial services end of things. She's still a hottie. We are a year apart and shared a bedroom for a bunch of years, and there is a closeness with her that has waxed and waned over the years but I suspect will be there til the end.
I am sure she struggled to be going through school in the shadow of her older, geekier, class brain sibling, as I was to have to deal with a younger sister for whom things like dating and popularity and standing on her hands came more easily. As we age, we are becoming more alike. She's still the family hottie, but she had a head start!

Happy birthday, Doodlebug! I love you and am proud of you!

No comments: