April 17, 2006

Keeping Roman Numerals Alive

In doing my work, I have a specific type of report that gets labeled with the facility / site name and by my customers unique site number. But occasionally, I end up writing multiple reports for a given site, at which point, I add a Roman numeral: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, etc.

It seems a quaint custom, an odd affectation for a technical report / subject in this digital era. According to Wikipedia:
Roman numerals are commonly used today in numbered lists (in outline format), clockfaces, pages preceding the main body of a book, chord triads in music analysis, the numbering of movie sequels, the production date at the end of movie credits, and the numbering of some sport events, such as the Olympic Games or the Super Bowls.

Add "power quality reports" to that list, I guess.

No comments: