April 09, 2006

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Just a lovely, lovely film. There was a lot in there - from the beautiful camera work, to the stunning parrots, to the story of Mark. I have to confess that I caught the surprise ending part early on - there was too much love in the film-making and the foreshadowing of the "cutting my hair" thing echo'd a similar statement in my own past. Besides, women named Judy are kind of special, in my book.

I was moved by the dharma bum - finding meaning and purpose in a flock of outcasts and expatriate birds. I was intriqued by the sociology which echo'd the work of Jane Goodall and Diane Fosse, except done in an urban ecosystem, and with birds, not simians. I was reminded of the biblical "...Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them...." Matthew 6:26. I was reminded of the story of the Disabled Fox, which de Mello attributes to the arab mystic Sa'di. Apparently, the folks at St. Andrew's Parish prefer their wisdom to come from the mouth of de Mello; can't be humanizing or legitimizing the terrorists and the pagans, now, can we? Oops....rant.

Back to the movie. As is my wont, I was crying several times (when a particular parrot dies, and when the house-parrots are given away). I've always loved birds; especially since the whole dinosaur-avian evolutionary link was postulated.

The Wild Parrots of Teelgraph Hill - a highly recommended movie!

No comments: