May 12, 2006

Because That's What I Do

I had an "A-ha!" moment this afternoon.

A particularly tricky issue with a UPS and an MRI system is underway in TX. One of my clients is in the middle of it; and I have been on the periphery as the locals and the UPS folks have been trying (so far unsuccessfully) to resolve it. It's finally escalated to the point where I am getting the nod, and Sunday will find me winging to El Paso.

The afternoon has been a cacophany of activity - booking flights, arranging for a hotel and a rental car, fetching my tool crate and power analyzer from my storage room. I'm sending the power analyzer out via Fed Ex to avoid excess baggage costs. It's been a while since I've hit the road, so I unpacked and repacked my tool case; a large black rolling behemoth filled with small foam padded bags with all the gadgets and measureing tools of my craft.

It was while I was rolling the cases out of the storage hole that it hit me: This is what I do. And its been a long while since I've jumped on my horse, strapped on my spurs and six-shooter, and rode on out into the wild world.

It feels good to be back - this sort of travel, the challenge of a tricky problem, an unknown resolution, and the chance to figure it all out and maybe walk away a hero.

Bonus: with any luck, I'll be able to sneak in a Jazzercise class; I looked up a nearby class at 6:00 pm every night.

No comments: