October 23, 2007

Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

I'm about 2/3 of the way through. Or more precisely 80/108 of the way through....

This is one of those books that haunts me. It's the book of the month at the yoga studio book group (which I have never participated in, but it ends up being present when I am at the studio) and I almost bought a copy last week - but when I was in there with money the last copy had been sold. So it was a spur of the moment decision at the airport, and I devoured it on the way home.

One "highlighter moment" so far, from Chapter 60:

"So I stood up and did a headstand on my Guru's roof, to celebrate the notion of liberation. I felt the dusty tiles under my hands. I felt my own strength and balance. I felt the easy night breeze on the palms of my bare feet. This kind of thing - a spontaneous headstand - isn't something a disembodied cool blue soul can do, but a human being can do it. We have hands; we can stand on tehm if we want to That's our privilege. That's the joy of a mortal body. And that's why God needs us. Because God loves to feel things through our hands."

This paragraph brings me back to my own experience with the divine via the Enlightenment Intensives. It makes me want to dive into another.

For many years, I have had an intellectual concept of the divine - that God is lonely. That God wants us to evolve to be His peers. That God instills free will and the capacity for good and evil in us on the off chance that we might grow into our potential divinity.

But really, that's a bit archaic in terms of my own experience. Ms. Gilbert's prose is eversomuch more resonant with my own recent experiences.

And it's a lovely concept. I suspect it will change the way I experience my hands on the yoga mat, in postures. In fact, I think it has renewed some of the EI energy that I had let become dull.....

So, Elizabeth Gilbert, thanks.....

2 comments:

Jen Cooper said...

Hi Jude.
I haven't stopped by your blog in a while so i just clicked in via Colin's.
I haven't read it yet but I glanced through it at a friend's house. I LOVE the way she personifies Depression and Lonliness. They are like that, like brooding and unwelcome companions.
I hadn't known she was reading; I'd have gone.

And BTW, the last time I was at RAW chatting with Colin, he said, "There's Jude over by the door; I'll introduce you.." and then I got a phone call and had to go. Hopefully we'll meet sometime.

Jude said...

Actually, Ms. Gilbert did not read; she mostly spoke and did Q&A. Still quite moving.

Assuming Colin pointed me out, do say hello. I am larger than life, I am omnipresent, I am legion. In other words, I am not hard to spot. I have only been hitting the CCH about 1/2 the time of late. But Hartford is not that big, we all run into each otehr eventually....