October 19, 2007

Oh, and I'm Buying a Car

I drifted over to Saturn yesterday and committed to a new ION-2. It's the last year for this model (in 2008 they introduce the Astra) so they only had a few on the lot. So I got a pretty decent deal, with 0% financing.

I ended up getting it in silver (the other choice was blue). I prefer a 5 speed manual, but all they had was automatics - not optimum, but the addition of cruise control will be welcomed, given my highway driving and penchant for inadvertent speeding. ABS brakes (new for me), traction control (damned if I know what that is, need to read the manual), power locks and windows, alloy tires, air conditioning, AM/FM/CD with a spigot for an MP3 player (excited about this). Should get about the same mileage as my present wheels - a little smaller and newer will add mileage, but the automatic transmission will reduce it.

It's a car, not a lifestyle or a fashion accessory. My insurance went up about $400 a year (adding collision), my property taxes will hurt a little. But no more worries about breaking down, repairs, etc. (Five year / 100K power train warranty, 3 year bumper-to-bumper). The coolest thing about it that I could see was that the battery was installed in the trunk, with the spare. Reason: put a bit more weight in the back, and keep the battery temperature down (the electrical engineer side of me concurs this is a smart idea). They provide a terminal under the hood (for jumping someone) but yanno, it would be fun to pull up to someone backwards to jump 'em, and mess with their minds....

Maybe if I can set some ground rules (for myself) about eating in the new car I might lose some weight.....

I'm donating the old car to WNPR - the $500 donation receipt is probably worth more than I can get for it. I'll strip out the AM/FM/CD for Zippy (for the Horizon, which has a stock AM/FM radio right now). Probably take me a week to clean out the old wheels....an accumulated decade of stuff in there.....

1 comment:

Cody Strub said...

I’m sure you got the hang of your new ION-2 and all its awesome accessories pretty quickly. It sounds like a pretty great ride. Do you still have this car? It’s pretty cool that you prefer manual over automatic. Me and my friends are exactly the opposite, haha! I prefer automatic because I find it difficult to multi-task on the road, which can (but thankfully hasn’t) proven disastrous. I did learn on a manual though, which makes driving automatic a lot easier.