October 23, 2007

A Little Irony

OK, the blog *is* called Scenic Root. And atop the blog is a photoshopped picture of tree roots; specifically those of the Banyan Tree. From Wikipedia, and apropos of my yoga obsessions:
In Hindu religion, the banyan tree is considered sacred and is called "Ashwath Vriksha" ("I am Banyan tree among trees" - Bhagavad Gita). It represents eternal life because of its seemingly ever-expanding branches.

In Hindu mythology, the banyan tree is also called kalpavriksha meaning 'wish fulfilling divine tree'. In modern parlance in the Hindi language, it is known as Bargad, Vatavriksh, and Barh.

I have noted the tree roots in the past - back in December 06 with regard to the recently unlost Buddha Boy. Elizabeth Gilchrest's book Eat Pray Love mentions the Banyan roots, which brought it to mind.

The funny thing is, my choosing this iconography is completely and wholly unrelated to a spiritual path. I had previously described my transition as being a "scenic route" (and in fact, an essay I wrote back in 2003 that may soon see print is titled "The Scenic Route" - and I thought the wordplay on Scenic Route / Scenic Root was clever. I found a nice photo of a scenic root, I photoshopped a bit, and it became my blog.

Which has become fairly laden with affairs of the spirit - yoga, enlightenment, meditation, etc.

Funny how that happened, eh....

Have I mentioned how delighted I am with the universe of late?

No comments: